Learn to Love Yourself Again
No matter what your body type is during your life someone will find a way to critique your physique. Growing up I was always thin. Most people think being thin is wonderful, but not when people are constantly telling you to eat a sandwich, or are worried about your health. I was thin as a rail. Not something a girl wants to hear. No matter if you are tall, thin, curvy, or larger, we need to learn to love our body again.
I began my journey towards a healthier self-image in college. I had modeled for a few years and decided I didn't want my body to define me. I had to reteach myself about my beauty and worth letting go of the lies the media had told me about what defines beauty.
I implemented a few habits into my daily routine to break my cycle of thinking and to relearn to love all aspects of my body.
1. GET RID OF YOUR SCALE
Your beauty is not found in a number. Some people weigh themselves multiple times a day. You should not place your worth in a number. Work towards being the healthiest version of yourself. Whatever that looks like.
For myself, began going to the gym for an hour a day and the results slowly began to show over time. I ate healthier, drank more water, got more sleep, and meditated.
2. ALLOW TIME FOR SELF CARE
When you are having a down day where you only see your "flaws", take time for yourself. This may mean getting a haircut or a pedicure. Perhaps a float session, or take a drive to a beautiful location nearby for the day.
If you can, stay away from your phone. The last thing you want to do is begin comparing yourself to the lives of others.
3. POST IT'SWrite a few motivational/inspirational post-it's. Put the post-it's around your living space. Mirrors are one of the best locations. As you look at yourself, read the quotes. Embrace the inspiration, even if you don't believe it yet.
A few of my favorites are :
- You are kind, you are smart, and you are important.
- Be proud of who you are, and not ashamed of how someone else sees you.
- You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress simultaneously.
- Confidence is the ability to feel beautiful, without needing someone to tell you.
4. LOOK IN THE MIRRORYou most-likely look in the mirror at least once a day. When you do, are you constantly nit-picking everything you see? Practice finding five things you like about yourself. This will not come naturally at first.
The goal of this exercise is to rewire your brain. It is the same concept as when you buy a new car and then you begin seeing that care everywhere. You want to begin seeing your beauty everywhere.
Treat yourself with the love and kindness that you would for a best friend. We are so much harder on ourselves than others.
Relearning to love yourself is a process. I do not believe you will ever reach a place of perfect acceptance, we slip up and have bad days. Just remember you are not alone in this journey.
Keep your head up and your eyes forward. Small steps over a long period of time will make changes within your mind. You are worth the time and effort. One day you will wake up and no longer see what is wrong with you, but rather feel empowered, beautiful and confident. I am so excited for you to reach that pivoting moment.